Who Are We?
Hundseth Power Line Construction (HPL) was founded in 1976 by C.L. Hundseth (Cec) under the name Hundseth Construction. With 25 years of power line experience, Cec Hundseth saw an opportunity to fill a niche on the Saskatchewan contractor scene. It was a wise move on his part as his vision for the future of the power line industry has come to fruition. Now managed together with his son Todd, who began working full time for Hundseth Line Construction Corp in 1980, HPL helps meet the electrical needs of the province of Saskatchewan.
Hundseth Line Construction Corp. is added
The first projects to be undertaken by our company were substations and other miscellaneous construction projects outside of the power line industry. In 1980 a further branch of operations called Hundseth Line Construction Corp. was added to provide service in power line and gas line construction in Saskatchewan. The company continued operations in other areas of construction although the bulk of the work was in the power line and gas line industries.
Major Client Expansion
In 1988, with a customer base which included SaskPower, Cameco, Husky Oil and Co-op, a major expansion took place and introduced new clients including: Cogema, Inco, Weyerhaeuser, ICG, TCPL, City of Saskatoon, SaskTel, Shaw Cable, Access Cable, the University of Saskatchewan, as well as many other customers.
Acquisition of Thompson-Jonsson Trenching Ltd
Further expansion came in 2011 with the acquisition of Thompson-Jonsson Trenching Ltd to create Hundseth Power Line Construction as it exists today. With more than a century of combined power line construction experience in Saskatchewan, the company takes pride in delivering the highest quality projects on time and in the safest manner to our customers.
Having previously held numerous regional maintenance and construction area spread contracts, HPL currently holds the SaskPower Region Powerline Contracts in the Saskatoon, Regina, and Regina Rural areas. With facilities in Saskatoon (home office), Regina and Humboldt, HPL offers an operating and support of staff of over 200 employees including Powerline Technicians, telecommunication technicians, safety & training, mechanics, mobile mechanics and welders along with equipment sufficient to support all operations. Distribution construction & maintenance powerline crews have extensive experience in 5kV, 14.4kV, and 25kV systems, both overhead and underground.
2015 - 2018
Manitoba Hydro Contract Completed
HPL has recently completed the Overhead Distribution Maintenance & Construction Services Contract (2015-2018) for Manitoba Hydro. We continue our support in Manitoba by providing services under our current Distribution Construction Framework Contract for Manitoba Hydro.
HPL’s Telecom Division continues to grow as we hold various contracts including two area spread contracts for SaskTel in Saskatchewan, in the Saskatoon and Prince Albert areas as well as the Provincial Fibre and Copper Splicing Contract.
HPL’s affiliate, Highland Powerlines Ltd. was acquired in 1988. Under the same ownership and direction as HPL, Highland promotes the same high standards of integrity and service in the province of British Columbia.
In parallel, HPL has decades of experience in transmission construction & maintenance across Western Canada. HPL has the specialized personnel, equipment, and expertise to deliver to our clients.
Today, HPL is among the leaders in the utility industry, providing exceptional service throughout Western Canada.
How We Do Business
Our Service Model
HPL has made several changes, improvements, and investments in our commitment to serve our clients and the ever-increasing workload. The following represent some of the key changes over the past four years:
Commitment across the province to upgrade our facilities
- Large investment in Saskatoon Head Office to expand the shop and office facilities for significantly increased staff
- New shop & office facilities in Regina and Humboldt
- All locations are fully staffed with field staff, office staff, and equipment repair staff- providing our clients with a reliable and professional contractor work force
Dedicated Human Resources Department within the Saskatoon Head Office to improve:
- Retention of employees
- Employee development
Establishment of a Project Management & Administration Department. Responsible for:
- Project Scheduling & Monitoring
- Project Budgeting
- Project Tendering (RFP Proposals)
- Administration of the workforce training database
- GPS System monitoring
- Implementation of a full GPS System which provides enhanced monitoring of crews which promotes efficiency and fleet management.
- A large commitment to the service and maintenance departments in all locations providing more reliability and crew efficiency. We currently have sixteen mechanics in Saskatoon and four in Regina, including three field service units to provide equipment repairs. The mechanics also work shifts/weekends to reduce equipment downtime.
- Large investments are continuously made to upgrade our existing fleet of vehicles and equipment to provide our clients with more reliability and efficiency in the field.
- HPL has made a significant commitment to Aboriginal engagement with our involvement with SaskPower, SaskPower’s Aboriginal Affairs Department, and Northlands College to development a training program (boot camp) for prospective linemen and equipment operators in the power line trade. We feel there is a tremendous resource available that is under-utilized and can be developed to help meet the growing workload.
Who are Our People?
We are an established contractor that not only provides the tools and equipment to do the job, but also a very stable and experienced workforce.
HPL is able to maintain our stable workforce by providing a comprehensive benefits package including pension, health, and dental benefits. This sets us apart from many other contractors.
We are also committed to the continuous training and development of our people, in order to continue to enhance our capabilities and provide career growth opportunities.
Our full time Human Resources team is actively recruiting and supporting all areas of the company.
As an established contractor with decades of experience in the Telecom, and Transmission & Distribution business, HPL has created a large fleet of vehicles and equipment to support the efficiency of our business and our customers. We have created this fleet to support all facets of our business such as overhead transmission and distribution construction & maintenance, liveline maintenance & construction, and all aspects of distribution and telecom underground including excavating, trenching, hydrovacing, and directional drilling. Also, our large fleet of all-terrain vehicles lets us complete work that others cannot.
Our fleet is supported by a team of over twenty mechanics, welders, and shop support personnel to keep us moving and ensure we meet our customers needs and timelines. We also have access to an established network of equipment dealers, leasing companies, and rental agencies to ensure we get our projects completed efficiently and on time.
Saskatoon (Head Office)
715 47th Street West
Saskatoon, SK S7L 7M1
2550 Gottselig Road
PO Box 27051
Regina, SK S4R 8R8
10358 8th Avenue
Humboldt, SK S0K 2A0